Monday, March 20, 2006

The Matrix in Japan

The other weekend I went to Naeba with some friends. Naeba is a ski resort that is only a couple of hours from Tokyo by car/train and is therefore very popular with Tokyo-ites. While extremely convenient and a great mountain for beginners, I being a complete snob didn't fall in love with the place. That didn't stop me from having fun that evening with a wild karaoke binge but I have to admit that the entire complex felt like being plugged into the matrix.

The hotel IS the town and it sprawls along the base of the moutnain. One of those hotels from the 80's bubble area. You check in and leave your identity at the counter. While in the matrix you can rent your skis, book lessons, buy tickets, eat at a multitude of restaurants. shop for sundries, pharamaceutical goods, tourist items, sing karoke, play darts, go bowling... (maybe I made up that last one).

Anyway, while it was a nice weekend with friends I have to admit that maybe BECAUSE I live in such a big city now, I really don't like to go to places where I am just another number. It makes you feel so.... faceless.

The matrix strikes again.

Link posted by megliemoo @ 2:05 PM   0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home